Inertia measures how difficult it is to move an object.
Mass measures how much material is in an object.
Problem: Compare Freddie (a small stuffed toy) with Ellie (a real elephant).
1. a. Who is heavier, Freddie the frog or Ellie the elephant?
1.b. Who has more weight, Freddie the frog or Ellie the elephant?
2. a. Who would be harder to move, Freddie or Ellie ?
2. b. Who has more inertia, Freddie the frog or Ellie the elephant?
3.a. Who has more material in their body, Freddie or Ellie?
3. b. Who has more mass, Freddie the frog or Ellie the elephant?
Answer: Did you choose Ellie the elephant as the answer for each question? If so, you understand that:
- things that are heavier have more inertia.
- the more mass an object has the greater is its inertia.
- the more inertia something has the harder it is to move it.
Summary: Complete each sentence using these works:
1. Ellie has __________ weight than Freddie. (more, less )
2. Fredie has ______ mass than Ellie. (more, less)
Because Ellie is _________ and more __________ than Freddie, Ellie has ________ inertia.