Need a Fast Growing Crystal?
Borax crystals form from a Supersaturated Borax Solution in about three hours.
Recipe for a Supersaturated Borax Solution
1. Mix 1 cup of borax and 2 cups of water in a cooking pot.
2. Heat the mixture to boiling, stirring so that the borax thoroughly mixes with the hot water. All the borax will dissolve.
3. Allow the mixture to cool for a few minutes. You want the liquid to be warm but not boiling hot when you pour it into a glass canning jar. CAUTION: CANNING JARS ARE MADE OF SPECIAL GLASS THAT WILL NOT BREAK WHEN THE HOT LIQUID IS ADDED.
NOTE: IF YOU DO NOT HAVE CANNING JARS, MAKE SURE THE LIQUID IS NEAR ROOM TEMPERATURE BEFORE YOU POUR IT INTO A TRANSPARENT JAR–GLASS OR PLASTIC.
4. Stand the jar with the borax solution where you can observe its contents, but in a place where it will not be disturbed–shaken.For best viewing have a light, such as a desk lamp or a window behind the jar.
5. Stand a craft stem in the jar.
6. Observe the content of the jar periodically for the first signs of crystals growing on the craft stem. It takes about three hours for the crystals to form. Then they grow relatively fast.
More Science Challenges
Can you color the crystals by adding food coloring and some other colorant? What is the science behind crystal growing ?
Grow A Borax Crystal Snowflake provides the answers to these questions and more.
|Help! My Science Project is Due Tomorrow! Easy Experiments You Can Do Overnight|