How to grow Halite Crystals
Materials: tap water, measuring cup, tablespoons of table salt, stirring spoon, tray (large enough to hold the paper), 1 sheet of black construction paper
1. Fill the measuring cup with 1/2 cup (125 ml) of water.
2. Make a salt solution by adding the salt to the water. Stir until all of the salt dissolves.
3. Lay the paper in the tray.
4. Pour the salt and water mixture over the paper.
5. Place the tray where it will not be disturbed but can be observed for 7 or more days.
Expected Results: As the water evaporated, clear, cube shaped crystals will form on the black paper.
- A solution is made.
- A solution is a combination of a solute and a solvent.
- The solute is table salt and the solvent is water.
- Two things are changing:
- solvent is evaporating
- solute particles are sticking together to form crystals
|Janice VanCleave’s Guide to More of the Best Science Fair Projects|