Mixtures are a Combination of Two or More Parts.
Solutions are a type of mixture in which one substance dissolve in the other.
The substance in a solution that dissolve is called a solute (solid, liquid, or gas). The substance in a solution that does the dissolving is called the solvent (solid, liquid, or gas).
- homogeneous The same throughout.
- mixture The combination of two or more different substances.
- solute The part of a solution that is dispersed throughout a solvent.
- solvent The part of a solution in which a solute is dispersed.
- solution The combination of a solute and a solvent.
If table salt is added to water, the solute is table salt and the solvent is water. This is an example of a solution in which a solid dissolves and spreads throughout a liquid.
- dissolve To break into small parts and spread through out the dissolving substance (solvent).