With this easy recipe, boys and girls will enjoy preparing this tasty holiday treat:
Let’s Start Cooking
1. Prepare the Fruit
With tap water, wash 1 orange, 2 apples, and a 12-ounce (340 g) bag of fresh cranberries. Remove bad berries and any stems on the orange and apples.
2. Chop the Fruit
Ask an adult to help with the cutting of the orange and apples and using the electric food processor (blender).
Keep the chopped fruit in separate containers.
1. Using a cutting board and knife, cut the orange into small pieces. One way to do this is to cut the orange in half and then cut each piece in half. Pick out and discard any seeds, and then cut each slice into 4 to 6 small pieces.
2. Peel and core the apple. Then, cut it into small pieces as you did the orange.
FOOD PROCESSING and MIXING THE FRUIT
3. Pour the cranberries into a food processor. Turn the grind or pulse switch on and off until the fruit is chopped into small pieces.You do not want the fruit to turn into a liquid mush. Instead, you want small pieces.
Turn off the food processor periodically, and with a spatula, scrape the sides of the processor so that all the fruit get chopped.
After chopping the cranberries, turn off the blender and pour the fruit pieces into a large bowl.
4. Repeat step 3 twice, first chopping the apples and then chop the orange pieces.
Since the fruit pieces are mixed together, you do not need to clean the food processor before chopping the apples and orange pieces.
5. Add 1 cup (250 mL) of table sugar to the bowl of fruit. Stir thoroughly.
6. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
VOILA’ You have Tasty Cranberry Relish.
Did You Know?
The sugar causes the fruit to be macerated. What does macerated mean?
Find out HERE
|Food and Nutrition for Every Kid|