How to use Astronomy facts to Develop A Science Project
Astronomy is the Study of Celestial Bodies
1. Start with an astronomy fact, such as:
Fact: The position of the Sun in the sky during the day affects the length of shadows.
How is the shadow length affected? Does the shadow get longer or shorter?
Does a certain position of the sun always produce shadows of the same length?
2. Identify the two things in the fact that are changing:
FYI: Things that change are called variables.
(1) changes in the position of the Sun is a variable
(2)changes in the length of shadows is a variable
3. Identify the two variables as an independent variable or an independent variable.
Generally the independent variable can change the dependent variable but not vise-versa.
A change in (independent variable) may cause a change in (dependent variable).
(1) A change in the shadow length may cause a change in the position of the Sun.
(2) A change in the position of the Sun may cause a change in shadow lengths.
Sentence 2 is corrct. Thus, the independent variable is the position of the Sun and the dependent variable is shadow length.
Your science project question could be:
How does the Sun’s position in the sky during the day affect the length of shadows?