How to Make and Test a Water Strider Model
While it is not a high-tech robot, you can design paper insect models that will stand on water.
Discover for Yourself
1. Fold a 3-by-5-inch index card in half with the long sides together.
2. Use the pattern shown to draw an insect on the folded card. Note that the insect diagram shown has three body parts–a head, thorax, and abdomen. The three pairs of legs are attached to the center body part- the thorax.
3. Cut out the insect, cutting along the red dashed lines, cutting through both layers of paper.
4. The dark dashed lines show where the bottom of each leg is bent.
5. Stand the paper insect on the surface of water in a bowl.I must admit that my water strider model is a bit lame. I’d appreciate a better model to display. Send your ideas to CONTACT JANICE.